Bat communista 07 2008

Turchia

Gli scioperi che hanno coinvolto nei mesi scorsi i lavoratori del porto di Istanbul si sono estesi ai cantieri navali della vicina Tuzla. Anche in questi stabilimenti la lotta ha come obiettivo l’arresto di quella che è ormai una vera e propria ecatombe causata dai ritmi di lavoro insostenibili in condizioni di totale insicurezza. Il 14 giugno centinaia di scioperanti, con il sostegno di migliaia di lavoratori esterni e di molti militanti politici, hanno manifestato di fronte ai canteri navali. La situazione contro cui lottano è inaccettabile: solo negli ultimi mesi nel distretto di Tuzla sono state uccise in incidenti sul lavoro 25 persone, nel maggio scorso due lavoratori sono morti nello spazi di una sola settimana. La ricerca della competitività in un mercato in forte crisi ha portato i cantieri navali a subappaltare a ditte esterne gran parte del lavoro, queste a loro volta per ottenerlo impongono un livello di sfruttamento e condizioni di lavoro criminali. Se si pensa che oggi 45.000 operai dei cantieri di Tuzla, quasi il 90% del totale, sono dipendenti di queste società è facile capire la gravità della situazione. La situazione del porto si Istanbul è molto più grave di quella italiana però anche nel nostro paese il tentativo di contenere al minimo il costo della forza lavoro sta provocando il preoccupante incremento degli incidenti sul lavoro al quale stiamo assistendo da tempo con conseguenti ipocrite reazioni dei borghesi nostrani.

My translation

Turkey

The strikes over previous months involving workers of the Port of Istanbul have extended to the neighbouring naval dockyards of Tuzla. At those enterprises the struggle has also had the objective of putting an end to what is a real nightmare caused by unsustainable rhythms of work in conditions of total insecurity. On 14th of June hundreds of strikers, with the support of thousands of other workers and many political militants, demonstrated in front of the naval dockyards. The situation they are struggling against is unacceptable, only in recent months in the Tuzla district have 25 people been killed in various incidents at work. Last May two workers died in the space of a single week. The struggle for competiveness in a market in profound crisis has led the naval dockyards to subcontract much of the labour force from other companies, and they in turn impose a criminal level of suffering and working conditions. If one considers that today 45 000 workers from the Tuzla dockyards, almost 90% of the total, are workers from those companies, it is easy to comprehend the seriousness of the situation. The situation at the port of Istanbul is much more serious than the Italian counterpart, but even in our country the attempt to keep to a minimum the cost of labour power is causing an alarming increase in accidents at work, and for some time now we have witnessed the consequent hypocrisy of our native bourgeoisie.

Forum: 

Tuzla

The strike at the Tuzla shipyards on the 14th (not 16th) of June was a fiasco. In fact the front page headline on the July issue of Gece Notları was '16 HAZİRAN (June) TUZLA SENDİKA FİYASKOSU'. We also covered Tuzla in a more in depth article inside the paper.

I wasn't there personally but militants from the Internationalist Communist Left were. The articles are due to be translated soon (for other reasons). I will post them when they are.

Devrim