Obesity

On this forum there is a thread on climate/obesity. I read my previous input and some of it I now reject. Particularly the idea of state capitalism being any part of the communist process. Even then I was not making a definitive statement that it was. the previous thread sprawled between various phenomena which I think are related in the capitalist drive to realise profit at the expense of people and life in general, but I thought it may be useful to gather the unfolding data on obesity which is not something the "communist left" says much about, but I think is an important aspect of the proletarian condition today. msn.com Severe obesity among children in final year of primary school reaches highest level on record, official data shows

Forum: 

Perhaps some may wonder if obesity is in fact a class related topic. I think it is. If millions of workers die in wars, we see this as a crime of capitalism. Yet how many die before their time and suffer long term ill health as a result of the imposed capitalist lifestyle? Consider this...In most rich nations, obesity rates are much higher at the bottom of the socioeconomic scale. They correlate strongly with inequality, which helps to explain why the UK’s incidence is greater than in most European and OECD nations. The scientific literature shows how the lower spending power, stress, anxiety and depression associated with low social status makes people more vulnerable to bad diets. More here from the Guardian....msn.com

US doctors coined a phrase for this condition: “sh*t-life syndrome”. Poor working-age Americans of all races are locked in a cycle of poverty and neglect, amid wider affluence. They are ill educated and ill trained. The jobs available are drudge work paying the minimum wage, with minimal or no job security. They are trapped in poor neighbourhoods where the prospect of owning a home is a distant dream. There is little social housing, scant income support and contingent access to healthcare. Finding meaning in life is close to impossible; the struggle to survive commands all intellectual and emotional resources. Yet turn on the TV or visit a middle-class shopping mall and a very different and unattainable world presents itself. Knowing that you are valueless, you resort to drugs, antidepressants and booze. You eat junk food and watch your ill-treated body balloon. It is not just poverty, but growing relative poverty in an era of rising inequality, with all its psychological side-effects, that is the killer.much more ………..msn.com

Key Facts

• In 2016/17, there were 617 thousand admissions in NHS hospitals where obesity was a factor1. This is an increase of 18 per cent on 2015/16.
  • In 2016, 26 per cent of adults were classified as obese. This has increased from 15 per cent in 1993 but has remained at a similar level since 2010.
  • In 2016, 26 per cent of adults and 16 per cent of children consumed 5 or more portions of fruit and vegetables a day.
  • In 2016/17, 1 in 5 children in Year 6 and 1 in 10 children in Reception were classified as obese.

digital.nhs.uk

Very much related;

"Physical inactivity is responsible for one in six UK deaths (equal to smoking) and is estimated to cost the UK £7.4 billion annually (including £0.9 billion to the NHS alone).

Unfortunately our population is around 20% less active than in the 1960s. If current trends continue, it will be 35% less active by 2030.

Many people don’t realise that physical activity has significant benefits for health, both physical and mental, and can help to prevent and manage over 20 chronic conditions and diseases, including some cancers, heart disease, type 2 diabetes and depression.

Surveys have shown that nearly a quarter of adults report being physically inactive (doing less than 30 minutes physical activity over a week).

Men were more likely to claim they achieve the recommended physical activity levels than women and women were more likely to report being physically inactive than men.

Increasing age and reduced physical activity are 2 risk factors that often coincide. As people age, they take part in less physical activity.

And people with disabilities or long-term conditions are twice as likely not to be active enough for good health."

gov.uk

Brand new global report....bbc.co.uk

A WHO report estimates that more than a quarter of people worldwide - 1.4 billion - are not doing enough physical exercise, a figure that has barely improved since 2001.

Inactivity raises the risk of a raft of health problems, such as heart disease, type-2 diabetes and some cancers.

High-income countries, including the UK, were among the least active.

And women were found to be more sedentary throughout the world, with the exception of two regions of Asia...

Researchers from the World Health Organization (WHO) looked at self-reported data on activity from 358 population-based surveys in 168 countries, including 1.9 million people, for their study in The Lancet Global Health.

They found in high-income countries, which include the UK and the USA, the proportion of inactive people had risen from 32% in 2001 to 37% in 2016, while in low-income countries it had remained stable at 16%.

Those who were classed as inactive did less than 150 minutes of moderate exercise - or 75 minutes at a vigorous intensity - a week.

Countries driving the upwards trend included Germany, New Zealand and the US...In the UK, inactivity levels in 2016 were 36% overall - 32% of men and 40% of women....

msn.com Life for the great majority under (advanced) capitalism is pointless boredom, the blackmail of alienated labour to survive interspersed with binging on junk food and drugs. Capitalism - unfit for human consumption.

Today (12 Oct 2018) independent.co.uk In England, a third of children leave primary school overweight or obese – with some children consuming 500 more calories per day than is recommended. Work work work consume consume consume accumulate accumulate accumulate...