So how should we feel about the US getting involved in Libya?

As a left-communist, I've actually been pretty anti-war, foriegn policy is one of my favoriate subjects to read up on. Is it wrong to suggest America should stay out of Libya? I'm feeling rather conflicted here..

Forum: 

Sam

I don't understand what you are trying to say. The US (and everyone else involved) is not in Libya to save civilians but to guard its own strategic and energy interests. the Libyan conflict is a tribal war between two factions of the bourgeosie and all (home grown and imperialist) are anti-working class. I don't get where your "conflict" lies.

I guess his conflict stems from the media coverage (including say, the UK SWP) which has romanticised the anti-Gadaffi faction as progressive, revolutionary against an evil tyrant.

A few Communist principles guide us here.

No war but class war.

Democracy under capitalism is an exercise in legitimising the dictatorship of the ruling class.

All capitalist factions are equally reactionary.

Communists do not advocate support for the lesser evil, the weaker capitalist etc. The time when the bourgeoisie of any country had a progressive role to play has passed.

Communists today, and for a long time, have no message outside of proletarian revolution.

Also Sam, the USA is an imperialist power whose motivation is economic gain and all of its actions, however presented, serve that purpose.

The motivation of all capitalist players can be summed up in a word- PROFIT.

One question appropriate to ask oneself in such situations is where the working class stands in relation to imperialist warfare and the state. Most of the traditional left confuses these things intentionally or unintentionally. One imperialist conflict leads to another imperialist conflict. So it isn't just the population of Lybia alone that stands to be affected. The US takes Lybia and then ends up controlling a source of oil going to its European imperialist rivals. The European imperialists being weaker militarily have to go along with the US and participate in its wars or they will get cut out of the spoils. So you see a rush by nations, and capitalist propaganda apparatuses, to get in on the bloodshed as quickly as possible. The moral outrage faced by opponents of imperialist wars is formidable and it is easy to stir up through propaganda aimed at manipulating our most basic emotions. The US itself has one of the most heavily propagandized populations on the planet, and this is not surprising given that it has the largest military and one of the largest economies in the world.

Finally, when the capitalist slaughter has "ended" it only leads to the run-up of another bloody slaughter, just as in the wars in the Persian Gulf for the last three decades. As a revolutionary it is a responsibility to stand by the revolutionary class, the proletariat, and not allow flag-wavers of any stripe claim to you that the working class is simply an abstraction, that their capitalist republics are the only practical political reality, or that they are worth killing and dying for.

Yeah I've reconsidered this, and I agree. No War but Class War. An economically fascist country can't be trusted here. The media really polarize these things.

-

Sam Varriano

A meeting in Cairo Saturday told Syria it will be suspended from the Arab League and face sanctions if it does not end its crackdown on anti-government protesters.

The USA wants the middle east to follow a western model.

Syria could be the next domino to fall to a pro - US regime change.

Syria is Iran's friend and such a change would be a step towards war with Iran.

irantracker.org

Another round of bloodletting is being prepared by imperialism for the middle eastern prize.

The whole episode sharpens the great powers' antagonism as China and Russia oppose the efforts of western imperialism to move against Syria and extend their grip of the area.

Note how quickly the Chinese left Libya, they were clogging the airports to get out. Now the Libyan workers get to live under an islamicized bourgeois state now.

The US government made its most recent absurd charges against Iran, concerning an blatantly fictitious plot of the Iranian government to supposedly work through a used car dealer to arrange an assassination of a Saudi diplomat on US soil and hiring a Mexican drug gang, Los Zetas, to do the job. The charge isn't intended to be believable but merely to build up the end pretext for US imperialism to wage military aggression against Iran (and possibly/probably Mexico).