cuba

I thought i would set up a cuba thread and leave any info I happen to find re cuba here, perhaps it will help for a future article.

Raul Castro has been named first secretary of Cuba's Communist Party, and his aging brother Fidel has been formally removed from leadership for the first time since the party's creation 46 years ago.

The elder Castro made a surprise appearance at the gathering, receiving thunderous applause from the 1,000 delegates assembled in a vast convention centre in Havana.

Fidel, who led the 1959 revolution to overthrow Fulgencio Batista, was helped to his place on stage by a young aide and stood to attention next to his 79-year-old brother during the playing of Cuba's national anthem.

84-year-old Fidel wore a blue track suit over a checked shirt, looked unsteady on his feet as he clutched his aide's arm, and at times slumped in his chair.

While the reforms approved at the congress are the biggest changes to Cuba's economy in decades, the leadership issue has loomed large at the four-day gathering since Raul Castro said in a speech on Saturday that the party was considering limiting future leaders, including himself, to two five-year terms

uk.news.yahoo.com

Forum: